Berlin issues CTO

From Mekeel's Weekly Stamp News, June 1, 1925:
— Mr Frank Haglund, Seattle, Washington, writes that he has received a warning from the Stockholm Philatelic Society to the effect that the new Liberian stamps with the slight cancellations are open to question on the score of philatelic regularity. Mr. Haglund says: "It is true that Liberia sent an order to Berlin for these stamps but before the stamps were received in Liberia, and used there, a quantity of them was sent from Berlin to Hamburg, where they were canceled with names of the largest cities in Liberia." Collectors should be guided accordingly.
"Hamburg" seems to point directly to the German headquarters of J. W. West.

Comments

• Nice find!
  • I agree. I am curious that the wording, "sent from Berlin to Hamburg, where they were canceled with names of the largest cities in Liberia", possibly over-interpreted, suggests that cancellation would have been at the hands (supposed) of J.W. West, and not of the Reichsdruckerei.

I am also assuming that the stamps were from the 1923 issue: does anybody recognise the description of the "stamps with the slight cancellations", and could they illustrate this? (Recognising cancellations is an area with which I struggle to raise my game).
  • "slight" = be interesting to see the original Swedish. This could be seen as a light cancel or a partial cancel

The stamp I have in this series are virtually all CTO with a partial cancel - Marshall, Harper, etc and a (19)24 date when it can be seen